Colorful, sweet, and savory, these vegetable hand rolls are the perfect light fare for parties or for lunch! The directions to fold a hand roll are a bit difficult to describe without photos, so I did my best to visualize the process. Start from the bottom right, and work your way to the left!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- 1 cup (180g) uncooked sushi rice
- 3 TBS sushi seasoning
- 10 sheets toasted sushi nori (seaweed)
- 1/2 English cucumber or 2 Persian cucumbers
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 6 oz (170g) preserved daikon
- 2 medium fuyu persimmons (optional)
- 2 small avocados, pitted and sliced
- furikake for topping (optional)
- Cook the sushi rice according to package instructions. When it is done cooking, scoop the cooked rice into a large bowl and let it cool for about 15 minutes. Mix in the sushi seasoning.
- While the rice is cooking, prepare the vegetables by cutting them into matchstick-size. If you want to add persimmons in the hand rolls, peel the persimmons, and cut it into matchsticks.
- Cut the nori sheets in half. Place one half of the nori sheet on a board, shiny side down. Spoon some rice onto the nori (about 2 to 3 tablespoons). Spread the rice so that you fill one half of the nori. Top the nori with a few slices of cucumber, red pepper, daikon, and persimmon. Top with one slice of avocado, and shake some furikake on top.
- Starting with the lower right-hand corner, roll the nori towards the left, until you reach the end. Seal the hand roll with a few grains of rice. Repeat with all the other nori sheets.
- Serve immediately.
1. You want to serve these immediately because the seaweed loses its crunch very quickly.