Tutti frutti cake recipe. It is a popular variety of cake in India. This tutti frutti cake recipe is made without eggs and has a soft, light and chewy crumb. The recipe is also easy and even beginners in baking can easily make this tutti frutti cake.
I have been making this tutti frutti cake for many years now. Initially I used to add ½ cup of oil or melted butter in the recipe, but later I started to reduce the amount of oil when baking this cake. I felt that even with ¼ cup of oil or melted butter the cake gets a nice light crumb and is moist. In the recipe, you can use melted butter or oil. I made the cake with oil and butter. Both work well in the cake. If you are using oil, use an oil with a neutral taste and a neutral taste like sunflower oil.
For dry mixture
▢ 1.5 cups all-purpose flour – approximately 187-190 grams
▢ 1 pinch of salt
▢ ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon – optional
▢ 1 teaspoon of baking powder
▢ ½ cup of tutti frutti – about 80 grams of tutti frutti
For the sugar solution
▢ ½ cup of water
▢ ¾ cup organic unrefined cane sugar or regular sugar (160 grams) – add as needed.
▢ ¼ cup melted butter or neutral flavored oil, 60 mL
▢ 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract or powdered vanilla or half of a scraped vanilla bean
For the curd solution
▢ 3 tablespoons of fresh curd (yogurt or dahi) (dairy or vegan)
▢ 1 tablespoon of water
▢ 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
▢ ½ teaspoon of baking soda
Also Read: Black Forest Cake
Sift the dry ingredients
- Take a sieve. Keep a mixing bowl under the sieve. In the sieve of all-purpose flour (maida), 1 pinch of salt, powdered cinnamon and baking powder.
- Sift all the dry ingredients.
- Now add the tutti frutti.
- You just have to mix the tutti frutti with the flour so that they are coated with flour.
- Butter a cake tin with butter and oil and set aside. You can even line the pan with butter paper or parchment paper. Also preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes.
Make a sugar solution
- In a bowl, take ¾ cup of sugar (160 grams of sugar) and ½ cup of water.
- Mix the sugar with water until all the sugar granules are dissolved.
- Once all the sugar has dissolved, add melted butter or oil. You can melt the butter in a small saucepan and keep it ready. with a whisk mix very well.
- Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract or scrape off half a vanilla bean and add the tiny seeds into the solution. Mix well again. Keep this sweet solution aside.
Make a curd solution
- In another bowl, take 3 tablespoons of sour milk or fresh yogurt, 1 tablespoon of water and 1 tablespoon of vinegar.
- You can use any vinegar like apple cider vinegar or white vinegar. I used apple cider vinegar. You can also use 1 tablespoon of lemon juice instead of vinegar. mix very well.
- Now add ½ teaspoon of baking soda. stir and mix very well.
- You will see the solution foam and bubble.
Make Tutti Frutti cake batter
- Quickly add the sugar solution.
- Then immediately add the bubbling curd solution as well.
- Mix gently to obtain a smooth paste with a light pressure of the hands on the whisk. Do not overdo the mixture. You can even incorporate the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. The small pieces are well in the dough.
- Pour the tutti frutti cake batter into the buttered or lined cake tin.
- Gently pat the cake pan on top of the kitchen table once or twice.
Baking the Tutti Frutti cake
- Place the cake pan in the oven.
- Bake the cake at 180 degrees Celsius in a preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes or more or less as needed. Cooking time will vary depending on the temperature conditions in the oven and the size of the oven.
- Check with a skewer or fork and it should come out clean.
- Place the pan on a wire rack to cool.
- When the tutti frutti cake has cooled completely to room temperature, using a butter knife, peel the edges of the cake. Flip the pan onto a cutting board. Gently pat the bottom of the cake pan and remove the cake.
- Cut the cake.
- Serve the tutti frutti cake without eggs, plain or with milk, tea or coffee. The remaining cake can be refrigerated and warmed slightly before serving.