Spring Roll Recipe – delicious and a popular Indo-Chinese vegetable spring roll snack recipe. These delicious vegan spring rolls are crisp on the outside, with a spicy vegetable garnish on the inside.
In India, they are a famous street food recipe.
After sharing the recipe for spring rolls, in this article I am going to share how to make spring rolls. If you have the wrappers ready, making spring rolls is not difficult and quite easy.
For the stuffing
▢ 2 tablespoons sesame oil or any other oil
▢ 150 grams of cabbage or about 2.25 to 2.5 cups of shredded cabbage
▢ 80 grams of carrots or 2 small grated carrots or ½ cup of grated carrots
▢ 1 small to medium green pepper (capsicum) – thinly sliced or 1/3 cup thinly sliced green pepper
▢ 7 to 8 green beans, very thinly sliced or ¼ cup finely sliced beans
▢ 2 to 3 cups small to medium spring onions (green onions) or 1/3 cup white spring onions
▢ ½ teaspoon of crushed black pepper or black pepper powder or add to taste
▢ 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
▢ 1 teaspoon finely chopped celery (optional)
▢ 1 cup of cooked noodles or about 75 grams of uncooked noodles (optional)
▢ 3 tablespoons of bean sprouts (optional)
▢ 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped young green onion leaves
▢ salt as needed
▢ oil for frying
For the sealing paste
▢ 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour or cornstarch
▢ 4 to 5 tablespoons of water or add as needed to make a thick paste
▢ 24 to 30 spring roll wrappers
Also Read: Dahi Vada Recipe
- First cook 75 grams of noodles according to package directions. Add the noodles to hot boiling water and cook them.
- Once the noodles should be cooked through, drain them and rinse them thoroughly with water.
- Filter and reserve.
- Cut the vegetables into thin long strips. For cabbage and carrot, you can grate them. Cut the green pepper / bell pepper into thin strips. Green beans, you can slice them very thinly, diagonally. Chopping takes time, so you can also use a food processor to chop vegetables.
- Please note that you can use your choice of vegetables.
Make the stuffing
- Now heat 2 tablespoons of sesame oil in a wok or kadai. Keep the heat on medium and add 1/3 cup of the spring onion whites.
- Mix then add all the vegetables.
- Increase the heat to high and sauté the vegetables for 4 to 5 minutes over high heat.
- Then add 1/2 teaspoon of crushed black pepper powder and 1 teaspoon of finely chopped celery (optional).
- Add 1 tablespoon of soy sauce. Black pepper and soy sauce can be adjusted according to your taste.
- Stir everything very well. Then add the cooked noodles.
- Season with salt. Add less salt because soy sauce already contains salt. Stir again very well. The filling should be dry.
- Turn off the heat and add the young green onion shoots. Stir and keep the filling aside. Let it cool down.
Preparation of sealing paste
- In a bowl, combine 6 tablespoons of all-purpose flour or cornstarch and 4-5 tablespoons of water. I used all-purpose flour.
- Mix well to obtain a thick paste without lumps.
Making Spring Rolls – Method 1
- Now take the spring roll wrapper. If you are using the wrapper recipe I posted, keep the baked side facing you. Make sure the wrappers are at room temperature before using them.
- Now, with your fingertips, apply the paste to the edges of the wrapper. Then place 1 tablespoon of veggie stuffing on one side.
- Roll gently but firmly until the end.
- Seal the end to the roll and place the roll with the sealed side down.
- Now spread some paste on the sides.
- Bring one side touching the roller and press down gently.
- Do the same with the other side. Roll out the batter again on both closed edges.
Making Spring Rolls – Method 2
- Another method is to roll halfway. Then roll out the batter on the sides.
- Seal both sides aside. Spread a little batter on the sealed edges.
- Then place the open side on the spring roll. Gently press and close it.
- When working with the spring roll wrappers, use light force from your hands, otherwise they may break. If there is a small tear, just spread some paste on it to close it.
- Now place all the spring rolls with the sealed edges down on a plate. Your hands get dirty when you stuff the spring rolls.
Deep Frying spring rolls
- Heat the oil to frying temperature (180 to 190 degrees Celsius).
- Gently slide out a spring roll. If the oil is not hot enough, they absorb the oil and become soggy.
- Depending on the size of the pan or kadai, you can fry 2-3 vegetable spring rolls at a time.
- Once they are lightly browned, turn them over and fry the other side.
- Fry until crispy and golden. Spring rolls are fried quickly.
- Remove them with a skimmer.
- Keep them on paper towels to remove extra oil.
- Garnish with a few chopped green onion sprouts and serve the hot vegetable spring rolls with red chili sauce or tomato ketchup.