The Spinach Corn Sandwich is a great breakfast and also perfect for packing in a kid’s lunch box. I’ve been making this sandwich for a few years now and we love it very much. With a little modification of the recipe, you can also create the healthier version.
Summer vacation is over and the kids are back to their routine of school. The biggest dilemma we moms face is “What to pack in their Lunch box ????”, of course without compromising the health aspect. And if you have a difficult child, the challenge doubles. You have to be innovative to make food interesting for children.
This spinach corn sandwich is a great way to get your kids to eat their fair share of greens. The cheese sauce is delicious enough to tempt them. You can add other cooked vegetables like beans, carrot, peas. Pieces of boiled chicken can also be added to the stuffing.
Do you want to make it healthy? No way out. Substitute whole wheat flour for the flour, use a mixture of oil and butter, and reduce the amount of cheese by half. Still, I can bet you the stuffing will be just as delicious.
Also Read: Paneer Tikka Sub Sandwich Recipe With Tandoori Mayonnaise
- 8 slices of bread
- spreadable butter on bread
For the spinach corn filling
- 1.5 tablespoon of cooking butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour / wheat flour
- 1 cup hot milk (more if the sauce is too thick)
- 1 cup cleaned spinach, blanched and chopped
- 1 cup of cooked corn
- ½ cup of grated cheese
- Heat a frying pan. Add butter. Add the flour once the butter begins to melt. Stir with a spatula for one minute over low-medium heat. (Avoid burning)
- Once the raw flavor of the flour is gone, slowly add the hot milk. Whisk thoroughly to make a smooth mixture and to avoid any lumps.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. (Since cheese can also contain salt, add salt accordingly). Mix well.
- Add the boiled spinach and corn kernels. Mix well. Remove the pan from the fire.
- Add the grated cheese. Mix with a spatula until the cheese is melted and well incorporated.
- Spread butter on a slice of bread. Turn around. Pour in the corn and spinach mixture. Garnish with another loaf. Spread the butter. Grill on a hot plate.
- Sometimes I add an Italian seasoning to the mix for a variation.
- For a spicier version, you can also sprinkle some chili flakes after spooning out the filling.
- Add any cooked vegetable of your choice.
- You can also add cooked pasta to the spinach corn filling.