100% whole wheat bread recipe. This foolproof recipe gives you very good soft wheat bread with the ingredients you have at home.
It’s a soft wholemeal bread with a light crumb. The recipe does not have the typical density and heaviness found in 100% whole wheat bread. There is a special and secret ingredient in the recipe which helps in the development of gluten.
I dabbled in this ingredient one day while making naan. Typically, Indian Naan and Bhatura have an ingredient that helps in the rising process and gives a smooth texture, even when the naans are made without yeast. I thought why not to use this ingredient in a bread. And it worked like a charm.
Later, as I further studied baking bread, I learned that an acidic medium within limits helps gluten development. So it’s no wonder this ingredient worked. So before I ask me what’s the secret… Let me tell you – its curd or its yogurt.
Well the bread tastes slightly like yogurt, but that’s really okay. I later experimented with two other acidic ingredients – vinegar and lemon juice and these too worked really well. With vinegar, the bread tasted slightly vinegar, but we had no problems.
As a vegetarian you can use dairy yogurt and as a vegan you can use cashew yogurt or lemon juice or vinegar.
To make this wholemeal bread, I used instant yeast. I have mentioned the proportions of active dry yeast, as well as in the details of the recipe and the method as well. I brought Instant Yeast from Amazon.in and the brand is Gloripan Instant Dry Yeast.
With instant yeast, the proofing and proofing time is faster than that of active dry yeast. you also don’t need to test instant yeast like active dry yeast. You just need to add the yeast to the flour and knead the dough.
I kneaded the dough with my hands just to show you the texture of the dough. You can also use a food processor or stand mixer to knead the dough. Sometimes I use Kitchenaid to make dough for white bread, brown bread, and sandwich bread.
I also used chakki ground organic wheat flour (stone ground). You can use any good quality attack to make this bread. I made a veg sandwich, a paneer bun, and a cheese and chili toast with the attache bread.
Also Read: Banana Cake (Egg Free, Vegan, Whole Wheat)
How to make whole wheat bread from scratch
1. Mix whole wheat with salt and add instant yeast. You can even mix the instant yeast granules with ½ cup of water and sugar in a separate bowl. Then add this mixture to the wheat flour. Sometimes the instant yeast granules do not completely dissolve in the dough, so you can dissolve them separately in water.
2. Add yogurt and ghee or butter or oil.
3. Mix well first, then knead into a soft dough, adding water at intervals. The dough will be slightly sticky but after the initial proofing everything will be fine. If the dough seems dry, you can add a little more water. Add a little flour, if the dough seems too sticky. Knead very well. Knead for 8-10 minutes in total.
4. Keep the kneaded dough in a large bowl and lightly brush water all over.
5. Keep covered for 30 to 35 minutes. The bread dough after the first rising.
6. Later, point and lightly knead the dough. Make a log with the dough and sew the edges.
Baking wheat bread
7. Place the log in a greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pan and let it rise for 40 to 45 minutes.
8. The bread after the second rising. Before baking, preheat the oven at 220 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes. If using a convection oven or oven with a fan, preheat to 200 or 205 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes.
9. On the bread, make a cross or slits of 2 to 5 mm and brush lightly with milk. Brushing with milk is an optional step. You can even brush with oil, butter or ghee.
10. Bake whole wheat bread in an oven preheated to 220 degrees Celsius for 22 to 25 minutes. If using a convection oven or oven with a fan, bake at 200 or 205 degrees Celsius or reduce the baking time.
When the wheat bread is still hot, remove it from the pan and let it cool on the grill. Once cool, serve the bread or wrap it in plastic wrap or store in a bread box. Serve wheat bread as needed. You can also use this bread to prepare various recipes like pakora bread, rolls, etc.