This burger is one of the best we’ve ever tried. A combo of onions cooked in hot sauce, shredded smoked gouda, sweet barbecue sauce & toasted buttered bread.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Frank’s RedHot or other hot sauce
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 8 (1/2-inch-thick) white bread
- 8 slices (thick-cut) bacon
- 2 pounds (20 percent fat) ground beef chuck, formed into 4 patties the same size as the bread slices
- 3 ounces (1 cup) smoked Gouda, shredded
- 1/4 cup sweet Barbecue sauce
How to Make It
In a large skillet, heat the oil. Add the sliced onion and a pinch of salt, cover and cook, stirring a few times, until the onion is crisp-tender and just turning translucent, 5 minutes. Stir in the hot sauce and beef broth and remove from the heat. Season with salt.
Heat a large griddle. Spread the butter on 1 side of each bread slice and griddle buttered side down over moderate heat until toasted, about 2 minutes. Transfer the toasts to a plate. Add the bacon to the griddle and cook over moderate heat until crisp, about 4 minutes per side; drain on paper towels. Wipe off the griddle.
Season the beef patties with salt and cook on the griddle over moderately high heat until medium-rare, about 2 minutes per side. Top each burger with 1/4 cup of smoked Gouda and cook until the cheese melts, 1 minute.
Set the burgers on the unbuttered sides of 4 toasts. Top with the bacon, onion and Sweet Barbecue Sauce. Close the burgers and serve, passing more barbecue sauce at the table.