Rakshabandhan Special chum chum
Chum Chum is a traditional Bengali sweet made in the same way as rasgulla but stuffed with dry coconut and dry fruits. This makes it very tasty to eat, it is made on the occasion of festivals, so why not make it this time on Rakshabandhan…….
- milk = one liter
- Sugar = 1½ cups
- Lemon juice = two teaspoons
- Small cardamom powder = 1/4 tsp
- water = four cups
- Mawa = 1/4 cup,
- grated Small cardamom powder = 1/8 tsp
- Sugar powder = 1 teaspoon
- you can add more or less according to your taste Saffron threads = five pieces dissolved in 1/4 tsp milk
- Yellow food color = a pinch
- Dry coconut = two spoons grated
- Pistachios = 3 tbsp, finely chopped
Here are the different ways of serving Bengali Cham Cham.
- We can either serve them as plain cham chams garnished with nuts
- We can coat the Cham Cham with dessicated coconut and garnish with nuts
- We can serve the Cham Cham soaked in freshly prepared Malai
- We can slit the Cham Cham and stuff it with Khova and nuts
- Heat a pan and add 1 litre of milk to the pan. Keep stirring until the milk starts to boil. We should get nice bubbles in the milk. Also keep stirring till you get bubbles.
Meanwhile dilute the lemon juice with 1 tablespoon of water and keep it ready.
2. When the milk starts to boil, switch off the flame and add the lemon juice little by little gradually. When milk starts to curdle, stop adding the lemon juice. Add 1/2 cup of cold water or ice cubes which helps to stop the curdling process. Also the cold water or ice cubes take out the sourness of lemon juice which we have added. Place a muslin cloth or thin cotton cloth over a strainer. Strain the curdled milk through the cloth covered strainer.
3. Cover the cloth and squeeze the cloth gently to remove excess water from the cheese. Also show the covered cloth under running water just to ensure the sourness of lemon is removed completely from the cheese. Squeeze the cloth gently and hang it for 30 minutes. In 30 minutes, the hung cloth would have removed most of the moisture from the cottage cheese.
4.After 10 minutes, the kneaded cheese would be like a dough. make small lemon sized balls out of the cheese dough and then roll it into an oval shape. you can add color if you want. Make sure the sizes are not too big, because cooking the cheese balls in the sugar syrup doubles its size. Lets heat a cooker or a broad and thick bottomed vessel. Add water and sugar and bring it to boil. When the sugar syrup starts to boil with bubbles, add 2 tablespoon of milk to the boiling sugar syrup. Adding milk to the sugar syrup separates the dust from the sugar and makes it float at the top of the syrup. We can then easily remove the dust using a ladle. This step is optional. If you have clear white sugar, we can skip this. If any dust present in the sugar, it would make the syrup look slightly dull in colour and your Cham Cham would not look good in the dull sugar syrup.
5.Make sure your sugar syrup is absolutely boiling and add cardamom powder and then drop the cheese balls in the sugar syrup. Cook the cheese balls in the sugar syrup for about 20 minutes with the pan closed with the lid. Gently stir the cheese balls every 5 minutes till they are cooked. You could see the size of the cheese balls gets doubled when they are fully done. Switch off the flame once they are done.
ASSEMBLE CHUM CHUM
- Once the Chum Chum has cooled down completely, remove them from sugar syrup and squeeze gently to take out the extra syrup.
- Roll it over desiccated coconut and top with some rose petals and garnish with edible silver foil.
- To make mawa stuffing ,mix 4tbsp of mawa with 1tbsp powdered sugar. mix it lightly.
- Slit the chum chum length wise and stuff the mawa inside. Decorate the stuffing with chopper nuts. Sprinkle coconut powder on chum chum.
- Serve chilled.