Join zillions of people on this fine night of September when the village of Naples gear up to make and consume more than 100,000 pizzas of every kind, ranging from 50-odd historic versions including classics Napoletana, Margherita, and Marinara! No wonder it’s among the best food festivals in the world for pizza lovers!
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 1/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup semolina flour
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Pizza Dough Flavor, optional
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Easy-Roll Dough Improver, optional, but very helpful
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Use cold water if you plan on refrigerating the dough and warm water if you bake the pizzas immediately.
- use all unbleached flour (4 1/4 cups) and start with 1 1/3 cups of water.
- To make the dough: Combine the dough ingredients — by hand, mixer, or bread machine — and knead until it’s smooth, shiny, and just slightly sticky. Knead it a few minutes less if it’s going to be refrigerated.
- Let the dough rest at room temperature, covered, for about an hour while you make the pizza toppings, or refrigerate it for later use (up to 3 days).
- To make the pizza toppings: Follow the instructions for each topping blend included in the tips.
- To assemble and bake the pizza: Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Pat and roll the dough out to the desired size and shape. Use pans if you don’t have a baking stone in your oven, or shape the pizza right on parchment paper if you’re planning to bake on a stone.
- Put the toppings on the pizza and bake according to each recipe as directed below.
- Remove the pizza from the oven, place it on a wire rack to keep the bottom crisp, and let it rest for 5 minutes, to give the cheese a chance to solidify just a bit and make the pizza easier to cut.
- Refrigerate any leftover pizza in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
TIPS FROM OUR BAKERS
Triple Cheese Pizza
- Top the pizza the marinated tomato salad, below.• 2 tablespoons (7/8 ounce, 25g) olive oil
• 2 to 3 cloves garlic, peeled
• 2 cups (8 ounces, 227g) shredded provolone cheese
• 2 cups (8 ounces, 227g) shredded mozzarella cheese
• 1 cup (3 1/2 ounces, 99g) shredded Parmesan cheeseCrush the garlic into the olive oil. Brush the garlic oil onto the dough. Toss the cheeses together, then spread them over the dough.
Bake the pizzas for 15 to 18 minutes, until the cheese is golden brown and bubbling, and the bottom crisp.Marinated Tomato Salad
• 4 cups (28 ounces, 794g) cherry tomatoes (the small grape variety, in both yellow and red, are nice here)
• 1/2 cup (2 3/4 ounces, 78g) sweet white onion, such as Walla Walla, Vidalia, or Spanish onion, finely chopped
• 1/2 cup (7/8 ounces, 25g) finely chopped parsley
• 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
• 1/4 cup (1 3/4 ounces, 50g) olive oil
• 2 tablespoons (1 ounce, 28g) balsamic or red wine vinegar
• 4 to 5 leaves fresh basil, thinly sliced, or 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
• salt and freshly ground black pepper