Orange cake recipe. This is an easy, simple, and no-fuss recipe for making a vegan, egg-free orange cake. The cake has an orange flavor with a light orange color and is a fluffy and light cake.
This vegan orange cake recipe is made with fresh orange juice, but you can even use ready-made orange juice. quantity is one medium sized cake bar sufficient for 3-4 people.
On various occasions, I have made this orange cake with whole wheat flour and powdered jaggery as well as sugar. You can also use all-purpose flour and fine or crushed sugar. It is not a heavy cake as I used very less oil (¼ cup). So even after taking the cake, you won’t feel heavy. A relatively healthy recipe for an orange cake.
You can even frost the cake with orange whipped cream or buttercream frosting. I kept it clear as we like it that way.
This orange cake can be baked both in a regular oven and in the microwave with convection mode.
Also Read: Vanilla Cake Without Eggs
How to make an orange cake
1.Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C. Sift 1 cup of whole wheat flour with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch / custard powder, a pinch of salt, ½ teaspoon of baking powder and ½ teaspoon of baking soda. Keep this sifted mixture aside.
2. In a bowl, add ½ cup of sugar and ¼ cup of oil. Instead of oil, you can also use softened butter.
3. With an electric mixer or hand mixer or wooden spoon, beat this oil / butter and sugar mixture until well combined. I also made this cake with jaggery. So you can add powdered or grated jaggery instead of sugar.
4. I made fresh orange juice. You can also use ready juice. To make fresh juice, use an electric juicer. You can also mix the orange segments (seeds removed) and strain the juice like I did. I used three medium oranges to get just over a cup of juice.
5. Here is the filtered fresh orange juice.
6. Add 1 cup of orange juice to the sugar and oil mixture. If you are using whole wheat flour, 1 cup of orange juice works well and if you are using all-purpose flour, you can add about ¾ cup of orange juice.
7. Stir very well until the sugar dissolves.
8. Now add the sifted flour mixture and ½ teaspoon of orange zest. You can also add about 1 teaspoon of orange zest. For a more dominant flavor of oranges, add orange extract or essence. To get the orange zest, just grate the orange zest before peeling the oranges. Use a hand grater to grate the orange peel. Grate only the orange part. Do not grate the white part.
9. Mix everything very well. There should be no lumps in the batter of cake.
10. Here the orange cake batter is ready.
Baking orange cake
11. Pour batter into a covered or greased cake pan about 7 × 4 inches. Use a spatula to scrape the dough from the sides and add it to the cake pan.
12. Pat the pan on the sides so that excess air bubbles are released and the dough becomes uniform in the pan.
13. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees C for 30 to 35 minutes.
14. When hot or cold, serve the orange cake with tea or coffee. You can wrap the remaining cake and store it in the refrigerator. This cake stays good for about a week in the refrigerator.