Have you ever heard of a “national cake”? It is Norway’s “National Cake” since 2002 and you may also see that they call it “World’s Best Cake”.It is quite simple actually: prepare a basic sponge cake, top with meringue and almond pieces, bake altogether, cut in two and assemble with vanilla cream. The ingredients are really not that hard to find and aside from almonds, you probably have almost all of them at hand in your kitchen.
10½ tablespoons (1 stick plus 21⁄2 tablespoons) butter, softened
12⁄ 3 cups granulated sugar, separated
11⁄ 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
5 large eggs, separated
1⁄ 3 cup whole milk
1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
1 cup heavy cream
1⁄2 vanilla bean
How To Make:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, with a rack in the middle position. Line an 8-x-12-inch baking pan with parchment paper. I recomend not using glass pans, use metal.
- Beat the butter and 2⁄ 3 cup of the sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and creamy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the flour and baking powder and mix well on low speed.
- Mix in the egg yolks and milk.
- Scrape the batter into the baking pan.
- In a large clean bowl, beat the egg whites and the remaining 1 cup sugar to soft peaks. Spread on top of the cake layer. Sprinkle with the almond slices.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the meringue is golden brown and puffed. Cool on a wire rack in the pan. Transfer to a cutting board.
- When the cake is cool, put the cream in a medium bowl and scrape in the vanilla seeds. Discard the vanilla pod. Beat to soft peaks with an electric mixer, about 3 minutes.
- Cut the cake in half crosswise with a serrated knife. Place one half of the cake on a serving tray and cover with the cream. Place the other half, meringue side up, on top.
- Let the cake sit for 1 hour in the fridge before serving.