Masoor Biryani: Masoor spells iron shakti, which is very important to build hemoglobin levels and ward off fatigue and tiredness. Make this basic brown in advance to save on time and efforts. I have added apricots and raisins to the masoor masala to make it more interesting.
Soaking time: 2 hours Preparation Time: Cooking Time: Baking Time: 15 minutes Baking Temperature: 200°C (400°F) Total Time: Makes 4 servings
For The Masala Masoor
1/2 cup masoor (whole red lentil) , soaked for 2 hours and drained
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
3 tbsp red paste
1/2 cup potato cubes
3/4 cup chopped tomatoes
2 dried apricots (kummani / jardalu) , soaked and finely chopped
1 tbsp chopped raisins (kismis)
salt to taste
2 1/4 cups brown rice
2 tbsp low-fat milk , 99.9% fat-free
For The Garnish
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
For the masala masoor
- Heat a pressure cooker on a medium flame and when hot, add the onions and dry roast on a medium flame till they turn brown in colour. Sprinkle 1 tbsp water if they start burning.
- Add the red paste and dry roast on a medium flame for a few more seconds while stirring continuously.
- Add the masoor, potatoes, tomatoes, apricots, raisins, salt and 1cup of water and pressure cook for 1 whistle.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- If the masoor is watery, remove from the pressure cooker and simmer in a non-sick pan till little moisture evaporates and the mixture becomes semi-dry. Keep aside.
How to proceed
- Divide the brown rice into 2 equal portions and keep aside.
- Put the milk at the bottom of a glass baking tray and spread one portion of the brown rice in an even layer. Spread the masala masoor over it.
- Spread the remaining brown rice over the masala masoor in an even layer.
- Cover with an aluminium foil and bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
|Value per serving||% Daily Values|
|Vitamin A||179.9 mcg||4%|
|Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)||0.3 mg||30%|
|Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)||0.1 mg||9%|
|Vitamin B3 (Niacin)||2.5 mg||21%|
|Vitamin C||12.6 mg||32%|
|Vitamin E||0.2 mg||1%|
|Folic Acid (Vitamin B9)||25.8 mcg||13%|