This roasted stuffed onions recipe is inspired by a popular Lebanese recipe and made vegan with a ‘meaty’, flavorful stuffing you’ll love! Give it a try! If you’re planning to impress your guests with an innovative, healthy and delicious dish, this roasted vegan stuffed onions recipe is an excellent choice! These stuffed onions can be eaten as a snack, appetizer or with a side of veggies, mashed potatoes and even with a veg yogurt sauce on top. Feel free to be creative!
- 3 large onions
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 ½ cup soy protein granules soaked
- 1 tomato, peeled and cubed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp spring onion, chopped
- 1 tsp cinnamon, ground
- 1 tsp allspice, ground
- 1 tsp cumin, ground
- 1 tsp coriander, ground
- 3 Tbsps vinegar or white wine
- salt and pepper, to taste
ALSO READ: Middle Eastern Kibbeh
- Soak the rice in a bowl with water.
- Fill a pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Cut off the top and bottom of each onion. Also, make a lateral cut on one side of each onion, into the center of the onion, from top to bottom. This will separate the onion layers when boiling.
- Add the onions to the boiling water and boil them for 10 minutes, until they soften.
- Drain the rice and add it to a bowl. Add all the other ingredients, except onions, vinegar/wine and oil. Mix.
- Once the onions are cooked, drain them and let them cool. Separate the layers and fill each onion with one tablespoon of stuffing. Wrap the onion around the stuffing but keep in mind that the rice will increase its size during cooking.
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onions with the cut side down. Cook them for 2-3 minutes. Add the vinegar/wine and cover with a lid. Cook on low for 20-30 minutes and flip the onions after the first 10 minutes.