Kalakand is an all-time favourite that has stood the test of time and tide! From its origins in northern India, its popularity has become pan Indian – why global too, as it is not uncommon to find this luscious, milky mithai in Indian stores across the world.
Setting Time: 3 hours. Preparation Time: Cooking Time: Total Time: Makes 25 pieces
2 1/4 cupsgrated fresh paneer (cottage cheese)
1 1/2 cups milk powder
1 1/2 cups fresh cream
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cardamom (elaichi) powder
For The Garnish
1 tbsp almond (badam) slivers
1 tbsp pistachio slivers
- Combine all the ingredients, except the cardamom powder, in a deep non-stick pan and mix well. Cook on a medium flame for 15 minutes or till the mixture thickens and leaves the sides of the pan, while stirring continuously and scraping the sides of the pan.
- Remove from the flame, add the cardamom powder and mix well.
- Transfer the mixture immediately into a 175 mm. (7″) greased thali and spread it evenly.
- Garnish it with almond and pistachio slivers and pat it lightly so that the almond and pistachio slivers stick to the mixture very well. Keep aside to cool and set for 3 hours.
- Cut into pieces and serve or keep refrigerated till serving.
|Value per piece||% Daily Values|
|Vitamin A||216.3 mcg||5%|
|Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)||0 mg||0%|
|Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)||0.1 mg||9%|
|Vitamin B3 (Niacin)||0.1 mg||1%|
|Vitamin C||0.7 mg||2%|
|Folic Acid (Vitamin B9)||0.5 mcg||0%|