Tomato shorba recipe – easy and light tomato soup spicy with Indian spices.
Tomato Shorba is a quick and easy recipe and takes 20 to 25 minutes. It is slightly spicy, light and goes very well as a starter soup.
To make tomato shorba or any tomato soup, always use tomatoes that are ripe and not too sour. If the tomatoes are too sour, the shorba will also turn sour. In this recipe we do not use any cream, so it is better to use ripe, red and sweet tomatoes. coriander leaves are added in good quantity in this recipe. By thus taking this dhaniya shorba tomato to another level.
You can even pair this tomato ka shorba with veg pulao, cashew pulao or jeera rice. Or just in cold weather.
▢ 300 grams of tomatoes or 4 medium to large tomatoes or 2 cups of coarsely chopped tomatoes
▢ ½ tablespoon of oil (can use sunflower oil, olive oil can also be used)
▢ 1 small to medium tej patta
▢ ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
▢ ½ teaspoon of ginger-garlic paste
▢ ⅛ teaspoon of turmeric powder (haldi)
▢ ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder (lal mirch powder)
▢ ¼ teaspoon ground coriander (dhania powder)
▢ ¼ teaspoon of Garam Masala powder
▢ ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder
▢ 3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
▢ 2 cups of water or vegetable broth
▢ salt as needed
Make tomato puree
- Rinse and chop the tomatoes. Add them to a blender or blender. By chopping, if desired, you can remove the tomato seeds.
- Without adding water, mix until smooth.
- Keep the tomato puree aside.
Make tomato shorba
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of oil in a pan.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of cumin seeds and let them splash.
- Then add 1/2 teaspoon of ginger garlic paste.
- Stir and sauté for a few seconds or until the raw aroma of ginger and garlic is gone.
- Now add the tomato puree.
- Add 1 tej patta. Stir and simmer for 2 minutes over low to medium heat.
- Now add the following spice powders – 1/8 teaspoon turmeric / haldi powder, 1/4 teaspoon red chilli powder, 1/4 teaspoon coriander powder, 1/4 teaspoon coffee garam masala powder and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper powder or black pepper.
- Mix again very well.
- Add 2 cups of water. Instead of water, vegetable broth can also be used.
- Simmer the shorba tomato over low to medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Then season with salt. Mix well.
- Again, continue to simmer the shorba tomato over low to medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and finally add 3 tablespoons of chopped coriander leaves.
- Toss and serve the tomato shorba hot as a soup or as a side dish for a sauce with vegetable pulao, cashew pulao or jeera rice.