“I made this up one day out of things I had on hand, and it turned out to be one of my favorite sandwiches ever. Sauteed zucchini pieces are coated with a zesty marinara sauce and topped with a generous helping of mozzarella cheese. These baked sandwiches are a great vegetarian version of the Italian grinder. They can also be made ahead of time, and heated just before serving.”
Cheesy, zesty, Italian sandwiches!
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 2 Medium Zucchini, Cubed
- ¾ cups Sliced Pepperoni
- 1 Pinch Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt And Pepper, to taste
- 1 Cup Marinara Sauce
- 4 (6 Inch) French Or Italian Sandwich Rolls, Split
- 1 1/2 Cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Fry the zucchini in butter until browned and slightly tender. Add pepperoni. Season with red pepper flakes, salt and pepper, and stir in the marinara sauce. Cook and stir until sauce is heated.
3. Spoon a generous amount of the zucchini mixture into each sandwich roll. Top with a handful of shredded mozzarella. Close the rolls and wrap individually in aluminum foil.
4. Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until bread is heated through and cheese is melted.
* I used 1 large french bread instead of the 6 inch rolls. After it was baked, I sliced it into serving size pieces. Absolutely fabulous!