The Egg Roll is a unique and tasty recipe, in which cooked rotis are lined with an egg mixture, cooked again, and then wrapped with the yummiest assortment of onions, veggies and sauces.
With an amazing mix of textures and flavours, the Egg Roll is sure to appease young and old alike. It can be had for breakfast or enjoy as a mid-day snack.
It will be loved by kids too, but you might want to reduce the amount of chillies for them. You can even pack it in the tiffin dabba as it stays good for 3 hours.
Preparation Time: Cooking Time: Total Time: Makes 4 rolls
For The Rotis
3/4 cup plain flour (maida)
1 tbsp soft butter
1/2 tsp sugar
salt to taste
8 tsp oil brush (for greasing) and cooking
To Be Mixed Into An Onion Mixture
1 cup thinly sliced onions
2 tsp finely chopped green chillies
2 tsp lemon juice
salt to taste
salt and freshly ground black pepper (kalimirch) to taste
2 tsp oil brush (for greasing)
40 thin cucumber strips
8 tsp tomato ketchup
4 tsp chilli sauce
For the rotis
- Combine all the ingredients into a deep bowl and mix well.
- Knead into a soft dough using enough water.
- Cover the dough with a lid and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions.
- Roll a portion of the dough into a 175 mm. (7”) diameter circle without using any flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle), grease it with 1 tsp of oil, place the rolled circle on it and cook using 1 tsp of oil till it turns brown spots appear from both the sides. Do not cook it till it is crisp otherwise it will be difficult to roll.
- Repeat step 6 to make 3 more rotis. Keep aside.
How to proceed
- Break an egg in a small bowl, add a little salt and pepper and whisk well using a fork.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle), grease it with ½ tsp of oil, pour the egg mixture on it and immediately place the cooked roti over it.
- Cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, turn over and cook on a medium flame for 1 more minute.
- Transfer on a clean, dry surface with the egg side facing upwards. Put ¼ th of the onion mixture spread it horizontally and 10 cucumber strips over it.
- Spread 2 tsp of tomato ketchup and 1 tsp of chilli sauce evenly over it.
- Roll it tightly from both the sides.
- Place the egg roll over a rectangular shaped butter paper and wrap one side with it.
- Repeat steps 1 to 7 to make 3 more egg rolls.
- Serve immediately.
|Value per roll||% Daily Values|
|Vitamin A||526.7 mcg||11%|
|Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)||0.1 mg||10%|
|Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)||0.2 mg||18%|
|Vitamin B3 (Niacin)||0.7 mg||6%|
|Vitamin C||7.9 mg||20%|
|Vitamin E||0.6 mg||4%|
|Folic Acid (Vitamin B9)||49.3 mcg||25%|