Beans and legumes are becoming the stars of the food pyramid these days, and we aren’t complaining because these powerhouses are filled with nutrients like folate, magnesium, and zinc! Not to mention they’re loaded with fibre, so rest assured that you won’t be getting hungry for a few hours after your meal.
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (15-ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup edamame, shelled, frozen
- 1 cup sweet corn, frozen
- 1 cup red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons scallions, chopped (about 3 scallions)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons smooth Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Pinch cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon chili power
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 chicken or turkey sausages (optional)
- Place oil in a large pan and sauté onions and garlic until translucent.
- Add black-eyed peas, frozen corn and frozen edamame. Stir until frozen vegetables are thawed. Remove from heat.
- Combine honey, mustard, vinegar, cinnamon, chili powder, and chives, and whisk to make dressing.
- Stir all ingredients together with the dressing.
- Prepare the sausage links according to directions.
- Serve sausages with succotash on the side.