These moong dal and chana dal pakoras are different from the dal vadas of South India in terms of taste and texture. The taste is different because curry leaf is not used in it. The texture is different because the chana dal is finely ground unlike the dough made for vada. Water is also added when grinding the soaked dal. The result is a crispy texture on the outside and a soft bite on the inside.
INGREDIENTS for Dal Pakora(moong dal and chana dal)
- Moong dal – 1 cup
- Chana dal – 1/2 cup
- Fennel seeds – 1 teaspoon [optional]
- Finely chopped cilantro leaves – 1/4 cup
- Finely chopped green chili – 1
- Asafoetida – a generous pinch
- Eno / fruit salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
Clean, wash, rinse and soak the dals for 3 to 4 hours. Completely drain the water.
Grind it in the blender to get a coarse paste. [do not add water during grinding – if necessary, sprinkle a little water. Remove this paste in a mixing bowl.
HOW to make Dal Pakora(moong dal and chana dal)
- Add the fennel seeds , the coriander leaves , the chilli pepper , the asafoetida and the salt and mix well.
- Add eno to the dough and mix well with clean hands.Once you have added eno, start frying the pakodas.Heat the oil in a deep pan.Once the oil is hot, take small portions of the paste with your hands or a spoon and drop it into the hot oil.Stir / turn and fry until golden and crisp.When finished, remove on absorbent paper.
- Serve hot with any chutney / sauce / dips.These pakodas can be used for dahi vadas or as pakode for snacks.
- You can also add finely chopped onions / cilantro leaves / ajwain / roasted jeera pwdr.
- Add eno only when you are about to fry.
- Eno is essential to make the dough light or the pakodas will be heavy.
- Eno makes the pakodas soft and gives a nice texture.
- Instead of eno, we can use baking soda.
- The dough should not be watery or smooth in texture.
- Instead of green chili, v can add red chili powder.
When ready to serve, sprinkle a little chaat masala on the pakodas.