It’s a North East dish, a part of the Garo-Khasi cuisine, the key ingredient being black sesame seeds. It’s the Meghalaya style dal prepared with lentils and black sesame seeds.
Ingredients of Daineiiong (Spicy Dal Curry)
- Brown Masoor Dal – ½ cup
- Toor Dal – ½ cup
- Water – 2 cups
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tsp
- Black Sesame Seeds – 1 tbsp heaped.
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Paprika – 1 tsp
How To Make Daineiiong (Spicy Dal Curry)
- Heat a kadai, add the sesame seeds and dry roast.
- Then grind it into a coarse powder without adding any water.
- Cook the dal by adding two cups of water for three whistles in the pressure cooker.
- Once the pressure is released, mash the dal nicely.
- Heat the kadai and add oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the ginger-garlic paste.
- Saute for a minute and add the cooked dal, powdered sesame seeds, paprika, and salt.
- Mix them all and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Daineiiong is ready.
- Serve hot with rice.