Dabeli recipe. It is street food from the Kutch region of Gujarat. Dabeli is also called kutchi dabeli or kachchhi dabeli or kacchi dabeli. It is a very famous street snack and can be easily found in Mumbai as well as Gujarat.
Basically, dabeli is a spicy, tangy, and sweet potato filling inside of a bun – specifically the Indian bun – called pav, drizzled with a spicy and sweet chutney and pomegranate, raisins, d onions and sev (fried gram flour vermicelli). Even though there were many dabeli stalls near my home in Mumbai, I never brought dabeli back from these stalls.
This is something I would indulge in once in a blue moon. I didn’t like him very much. I would always prefer two of my favorite street food in Mumbai with bread – Pav bhaji and Vada Pav in dabeli.
For the Dabeli Masala
▢ 1 dry red chilli
▢ 1 teaspoon ground coriander or coriander seeds
▢ ½ inch cinnamon stick
▢ 2 to 3 cloves
▢ ½ teaspoon of cumin seeds
For the red garlic chutney
▢ 1 to 2 red peppers – soaked in lukewarm water for 30-40 minutes
▢ ½ cup garlic (lahsun) – chopped
▢ ½ tablespoon of lemon juice
▢ salt to taste
Also Read: Spring Rolls | Chinese Vegetable Spring Rolls (Vegan)
Potato filling for Dabeli
▢ 3 potatoes of medium size – boiled, peeled and mashed
▢ 1 small onion – finely chopped
▢ 2 teaspoons of dabeli masala
▢ 1 pinch of asafoetida (hing)
▢ ½ teaspoon of cumin
▢ 2 tablespoons of tamarind date chutney
▢ ¼ cup grated coconut
▢ ¼ cup pomegranate seeds
▢ ¼ cup chopped cilantro leaves (cilantro leaves)
▢ 2 tablespoons of oil
▢ 2 tablespoons of water (optional)
To serve Dabeli
▢ 4 to 5 buns or pav sliced and lightly toasted in butter or oil
▢ ½ cup roasted peanuts
▢ ½ cup chopped cilantro leaves
▢ ½ cup of nylon sev
▢ ½ cup pomegranate seeds
▢ garlic chutney as needed
▢ Sweet tamarind date chutney as needed
Make Dabeli Masala powder
- Dry roast the red pepper, cumin, cloves, cinnamon and coriander seeds.
- Add all the ingredients in a grinder.
- Grind into a fine powder. Set aside.
Preparation of red garlic chutney
- In a wet grinder or blender, grind the soaked red peppers, garlic, lemon juice and salt into a smooth paste.
- Add water if necessary. Set aside.
Make potato stuffing for Dabeli
- In a microwave or pressure cooker, boil the potatoes.
- Peel and mash them and place them aside.
- In a pan or kadai, heat the oil. Add the cumin.
- Then add the chopped onion and sauté the onions until they become tender.
- Add asafoetida / hing and brown for a minute over low heat.
- Add the onion tamarind date chutney and mix well.
- Add the mashed potatoes and combine well again.
- To the mashed potatoes, add the dabeli masala powder. Mix well and add salt.
- Cook 2-3 minutes, stirring the mixture.
- If the mixture seems a little dry, add 1 or 2 tablespoons of water. When finished, spread the potato filling on a plate.
- Sprinkle grated coconut over the potato filling.
- Add a little chopped cilantro on top.
- Now add pomegranate seeds or grapes or both. Keep the potato stuffing aside.
- Gather all the ingredients mentioned under serving in one place.
- Apply the sweet chutney to one slice of the bread and the red garlic chutney to the other side.
- Take a slice of the potato filling and place it on one of the slices of bread.
- Add a few chopped onion and cilantro leaves
- Complete with roasted peanuts and pomegranate seeds.
- Also sprinkle with dabeli masala. Finally, garnish it with sev.
- Cover with the other slice of bread.
- Prepare the rest of the dabeli pav in the same way and serve hot.