Banana bread recipe – egg free and vegan recipe – so far this is the best banana bread I have made.
After posting this recipe, it has been tried and tested successfully by many readers. This banana bread recipe is made with whole wheat flour (wholemeal flour) but all-purpose flour can be switched instead.
▢ 4 ripe bananas of medium size or on ripe bananas or 300 grams of ripe bananas
▢ 1½ cups whole wheat flour or 180 grams whole wheat flour
▢ ½ cup of coconut oil or sunflower oil or any vegetable oil or 125 ml of coconut oil
▢ ½ cup brown sugar or regular granulated sugar or unrefined cane sugar
▢ ½ teaspoon of vanilla powder or 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
▢ ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon – optional
▢ 2 to 3 pinches of ground nutmeg or ⅛ teaspoon of ground nutmeg – optional
▢ 1 to 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds – optional
▢ 1.5 teaspoon of baking powder
▢ ½ teaspoon of baking soda
▢ 1 pinch of salt – optional
How to make banana bread
1. First preheat the oven to 180 degrees C or 350 degrees F. Then take 3-4 medium to large bananas or 2 large ripe or overripe bananas. By weight, the measurement is 300 grams or 10.5 ounces. Cut the bananas and add them to a mixing bowl.
2. Add ½ cup of sugar. You can use brown sugar, organic unrefined cane sugar, or white granulated sugar. Everything works well in this recipe. Depending on the bananas sweetness, you can reduce the sugar to ⅓ cup.
3. Then mash the bananas with a potato masher or fork until smooth.
Also Read: Soft Whole Wheat Bread | 100% Wholemeal Bread From Scratch (Without Egg)
4. There should be no lumps. You can also use a blender to mash bananas. The fine threads of the bananas are fine.
5. Add ½ cup of oil (125 ml). You can use any oil. I have made this bread many times with coconut oil, safflower oil, sunflower oil, rice bran oil and even olive oil .
6. Mix well so that the oil mixes evenly with the mashed bananas.
7. Add ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon powder, 2 to 3 pinches or ⅛ teaspoon of nutmeg powder and ½ teaspoon of vanilla powder or 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Cinnamon powder and nutmeg powder are optional.
8. Combine the flavoring spices and vanilla with the banana oil mixture.
9. Sift 1½ cup whole wheat flour (180 grams), ½ teaspoon baking soda, 1½ teaspoon baking powder and a little salt (optional) directly into the bowl.
10. Here is the dry mixture sifted over the wet mixture.
11. Lightly fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients very well. Do not mix. This folding step is very important because you want the whole bread mixture to be one and evenly mixed without the dough deflating.
12. Here is the folded dough.
13. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of sunflower seeds. You can also add chopped nuts or chocolate chips or any dried fruit of your choice in place of the sunflower seeds.
14. Fold again gently once or twice, so that the sunflower seeds are incorporated into the cake batter.
Baking banana bread
15. Pour batter into greased or lined (8 x 4 x 2.5 inch) loaf pan or round cake pan (8 x 2 inch). For 30 to 40 minutes, bake in preheated 180 degree C oven or until a toothpick inserted in bread comes out clean.
The time varies from oven to oven. Depending on the temperature of your oven and the size of your pan, the bread may take less or longer than mentioned here.
The temperature varies from oven to oven. So take your call and keep an eye out. However, do not open the oven until the bread is cooked. The reference is that a toothpick inserted into the cake should come out clean.
16. When the bread cools, remove it from the pan.
17. When hot or cool, slice and serve plain egg-free banana bread with tea or coffee. The rest of the bread, you can wrap it in cling film or store it in a box in the refrigerator. Reheat the bread before serving.