Here’s a delicious version of halwa that’s prepared using sweet potato or shakarkandi, and is a nutritious treat for those suffering from high blood pressure as sweet potatoes are known to have a low potassium and sodium content. This dessert recipe is low in calories and is an ideal treat for winter dinners. The best part about sweet potatoes is that they contain naturally sweet, so you don’t need too much of sugar while making the halwa. It is perfect for people who want to have some sweet dish but are also conscious about their health.
Ingredients of Sweet Potato Halwa
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered green cardamom
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 2 tablespoon mixed dry fruits
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 1/2 cup sweet potato
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron
- 2 tablespoon lukewarm milk
How to make Halwa
1. To prepare this delicious halwa, boil sweet potatoes in a pressure cooker. Once done, let them cool aside. Afterwards, peel and mash the sweet potatoes in a bowl and keep aside. Take a small bowl and mix together the lukewarm milk and saffron strands to prepare saffron milk. Keep this saffron milk aside until required.
2. Now, put a thick non-stick pan over medium flame and melt ghee in it. Once the ghee is melted, add mashed sweet potatoes in it and saute for 2-3 minutes till they are light brown in colour.
3. Next, put milk in the pan along with cardamom powder, sugar and water. Stir to mix well and cook the sweet potatoes for about 7-8 minutes. Make sure you stir continuously as there are high chances of sweet potatoes sticking at the bottom.
4. Finally, add saffron milk in the pan along with chopped mixed dry fruits. Stir to mix well and cook for another 5 minutes while stirring continuously. Once the milk is absorbed completely, turn off the flame and serve hot. You can garnish the sweet potato halwa with some more dry fruits (chopped) and saffron strands.